Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Pottery

Saturday I took the boys to do some Christmas pottery/painting. Probably a mistake on my part going by myself b/c it kind of stressed me out once I got there and realized that I had to paint everything!!! I thought I could just go slap a couple of handprints on the pottery and then write the words in permanant marker and be done...but no you had to paint everything...and if you know me well you know I am no artist!!

Cade was somewhat cooperative...he thought the paint was funny on his hands but trying to keep the paint on his hands and off his clothes, my clothes, Brooks, the table, chairs, and anything else besides the ornament and plate we were painting was a challenge but we succeeded....here is Cade's masterpiece of an ornament on the left....a little messy but memorable to say the least :)


Brooks is the hand on the right...he was not so excited about the paint...he screamed bloody murder when I put the paint on his hand/foot as well as when I forced his hand/foot to stay open to put it on the ornament. I am sure everyone in the paint shop thought I was hurting the child...but I promise no children were harmed in the process of this pottery painting session :)

Here is the back of his ornament...I thought it was super cute for his 1st Christmas ornament...I wish I would have done this one year earlier for Cade.


Let me just "paint" this picture for you.....While I was attempting to do Brooks hand and foot on the ornament (while he is screaming), Cade was dipping the paint brushes in the paint and water and discovered it was fun to sling the brushes around with paint and water on them.....As I am forcefully (gently of course) pressing Brooks hand and foot on this ornament (while he is curling his fingers and toes) I am trying to attempt to police my 20 month old from not slinging paint on me, himself, the pottery or the people sitting next to us.....At one point I looked over at the woman next to us just staring (not even cracking a smile)...I am pretty sure she was awe of my skills handling a screaming 7 month old, a wild 20 month old while I am attempting to paint on this plate and ornaments, and trying to maintain my composure.....haha yea right I am pretty sure she was just saying man I am glad that's not me!!!!

We successfully emptied the store out, I'm not sure if that's because it just took us so long or if people just realized their leisure Saturday painting experience was not going to be fulfilled with me and my rowdy kids :) and I'm not sure who was more stressed about the whole situation me or the girl working.... Sorry I didn't get any pictures from the painting day, let's just be honest, that was the last thing on my mind!!

Lastly, but my favorite take away from the day, we made a Chritmas plate. My sister's friends had an idea that if you make a plate with your kids every year for 10 years then by that time you will have a whole place setting from over the years of Christmas with your kids....I thought that was such a cute idea!!! Unfortunately Dani was not here for this year's 1st annual painting party but we will make sure to get her in for years to come....here is our final result...super cute!!!


While the painting was stressful in the present, the end result overshadowed the past and we made the memories worth it and hopefully started a tradition for years to come!! Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

  1. I almost peed in my pants I was laughing so hard at this one! Hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete