Thursday, January 19, 2012

ER visit....

Tuesday night was eventful to say the least. The boys had a great day, hence my last post....then they got up from their naps, both still feeling lousy, but ok....we ran some errands and got home ready to make dinner and Cade became very fussy. I tried to turn on Mickey mouse....he would not watch it and we all know when Cade doesn't watch Mickey there is something wrong!! All he wanted was for me to hold him...then suddenly I realized his little hands were freezing and fingers were slightly blue, he was burning up every where else, he was upset but wasn't crying like normal, he started hesitating breathing and would cry in between, then he started shivering and shaking....this is when my heart started racing!!! I gave him his breathing treatment, called Josh and told him to meet me at the ER, threw the kids in the car, got a bag of stuff together quickly with necessities and took off. I focused my mirror on Cade so i could see him...he was still a little frantic but his breathing was slowly improving. As I passed ethe pediatric clinic that we go to I realized his pediatrician was still there and since the hospital we have to go to is 20 minutes away, I decided to stop. At this point it was 5:20 and her office closes at 5:00...so we got lucky!!!

Yes, I was the crazy momma rushing her child in after hours banging on the window for help!! Luckily his doctor and her nurses know us well since we practically pay her mortgage with as many times as we go to see her...she was so sweet and let us in and did a full check on him. His oxygen level was good and his breathing had settled, although he was still not feeling well at all, poor baby!! She looked in his ears and saw some infection beginning so decided to go ahead and treat him with an antibiotic that would cover ears and pneumonia. She said if he starts vomiting you need to go to the ER but he should be fine. I thanked her about 20 times...have I mentioned how much we love Dr. Talbot??!! She is so awesome!!!!

So we left and got our medicine filled, went back home, and gave cade the antibiotic. I started making dinner again....then he got fussy again. Luckily Josh got home and was able to help me. Cade was still attached to my leg though....about 5 minutes later he starts vomiting!!!! Red and green Gatorade...he hadn't had an appetite all day so it was basically just liquid. My immediate reaction, per docs orders, was we are going to the ER...with no argument from Josh was left the house with pj's in hand, bottles, blankets, luckily I had a bag thrown together from our earlier scare and we were off!! Can I tell you how fast my heart was beating??!! I get so scared about stuff like this, I know God is in control but it is so hard to know what to do in situations like this!! I knew vomiting was a sign of pneumonia, but he had just thrown up his medicine so I was worried about how bad it was. Luckily both boys slept on the way there. I had my little freak out moment, shed a few tears said a few prayers, gathered myself and we were finally there....got Cade out of the car and he puked two more times all over his clothes....once again it was a nice green color from his gatorade...ew!!

We got checked in, they said our wait wouldn't be long and we got settled in out little spot among all of the other snotty, coughing, sick children....I can't tell you how much ER's completely gross me out!!! We waited about 45 minutes to get his vitals checked and talk with the nurse to give her the low down on what was wrong. He checked out well which meant our wait would be longer since his condition wasn't too serious.

Meanwhile, we had to figure out what to do with Brooks bc I hated exposing him to all that sickness when it wasn't necessary. Luckily, once again we have some great friends, and Tommy's parents were able to come and get him. They live just around the corner from the hospital. Poor baby, he was feeling lousy too and had a low grade fever so they took him and gave him some meds and put him to sleep as we waited for another TWO and A HALF hours!!!!!

As we waited, Cade got a burst of energy, he ate some cheese its, a french fry and drank some juice and kept it all down, he played on the iPad, walked around and explored the hospital, waved at people and loved to go to the hand cleaning station and get hand sanitizer...he finally crashed at about 11:45 pm and about 10 minutes later we were finally called to a room!!! By this point he no longer had fever (first time since Saturday night), his breathing was the best it had been since Sunday and he was comfortably sleeping. We got him changed out of his clothes that were covered in puke, into a cute little gown....(see below) how pitiful does he look??!!

We waited on the doc and they checked him out but by that point he really was feeling so much better and sounded great...the conclusion was that it was either the medicine on an empty stomach that made him sick or all of the congestion/cough/sickness that just made him get sick. It's so hard to tell at that age since they can't communicate what hurts and when. We decided to stick with the plan of meds and breathing treatments. Luckily it didn't seem to be anything serious. We went and picked up Brooks and got home by 1:30 am....what a night!!!

Cade slept until 9 am that morning and took another 4 hour nap...I think his little body was just worn out!! His fever has completely gone away and his breathing has improved. He is still pretty cranky, but that's expected.

Brooks started with a 102 fever yesterday and coughing more...so fussy and sleepy. Hopefully he will recover quickly and it won't turn into another ER visit!!! Although Brooks isnt anywhere close to how bad off Cade was.

So despite my last post about everyone on the mend...we are still working on getting there. This RSV virus is nasty and so many children have been affected by it lately!! It is scary bc one minute they can be fine and then they go downhill so quickly and judging when the symptoms are too bad is a hard call to make!! My theory is if i am not sure, it's better safe that sorry!!!

I will try to update if anything else exciting happens....one more pic...this was us in the ER...me enjoying my cuddle time with my buddy!! They have both been extra cuddly the last few days and I have loved it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment