Saturday, February 11, 2012

We will always love and remember Gris Gris.....

Our dog Gris Gris got out of our fence last night, was struck by a car and unfortunately did not survive. We have struggled all night trying to make sense of it all, which we will probably never be able to do. We hope now that he is in doggy heaven (we like to think it exists, even though we aren't sure) chasing lots of ducks and getting to eat lots of yummy food!! I even chuckled last night thinking of if he got to meet God how happy he would be just to see him (because he always loved people)!!

All day we have reminisced on the great memories we had of him as a member of our family. Gris Gris was my first dog and six years ago, before he was in my life I would have never thought I would be this emotional about losing a dog. I find myself saying "I should have loved him better and let him inside more, why didn't I pet him more, do you think he knew I loved him??" Which I know he did but I wish I could have him back for even just a minute to give him a kiss and a good ear rub to make sure he knew that.....for those of you who know me probably know that dog hair grosses me out and I am not really a huge animal person but Gris Gris was one of a kind and I didn't realize how much I really did love him until it was too late!! Some people may say he was just a dog and six years ago I might have said the same thing, but today I can tell you he was a very special part of our family. He is an irreplaceable dog and will always be a part of our family a void in out lives that will always be there.

Gris Gris was always SO happy, he never had a mean bone in his body!! He was 100 lbs of puppy every day of his life and he had such a laid back, loveable personality. Josh said tonight he was a 100 lb. lab with enough skin for a 200 lb. lab...everyone always made fun of his loose skin....I think that made him unique, special and extra cute!! He was so wonderful with the kids, he loved being outside, loved to duck hunt, chase ducks, watch ducks and he always loved being with Josh. He tried to be obedient but Gris Gris had a mind of his own and sometimes we would say he goes off in his own little imaginary world. He had the sweetest (of course it annoyed me at the time but I wish I could hear it now) little whine, he rarely barked but he had this high pitch wine that he would do when he would want something. I miss hearing it now!!

It makes me so sad that Cade and Brooks will most likely not remember him as their pet. I am thankful that Dani got to spend many years with Gris Gris as her dog and she loved him so much. She said today that he was her best friend here in Baton Rouge, that made my heart hurt so bad for her. You could wonder why things like this happen every day of your life but we have to trust that God has a bigger plan and knows what is best.

We are going to have a burial for Gris Gris tomorrow at Dogwood Creek in Lake Charles. Josh made him a beautiful box to be laid to rest in and a cross to put at his grave site. He will truly be missed by everyone that had the pleasure of getting to meet him. Please enjoy some of my favorite pictures of what is in my opinion the best dog that ever lived!!!

First picture of Gris Gris!!



One of my favorite pictures of all time....
Cutest puppy in the world!!!
I always loved it when he would turn his head like this and look at you....
Dani girl with her dog :)

Josh's most reliable hunting buddy and friend....
and fishing buddy.....
brothers Gris Gris and Bourree before Bourree retired to DD and Grandpere's house
Gris Gris playing with his cousin, Dixie....one of my funniest memories of Gris Gris is in those booties he has on in this picture. We tried to buy him some shoes so that when he walked around the house on our hardwood floor his nails wouldn't click as loud.....all he did was fall all over himself when we put them on, it was hilarious!!!
Gris Gris with one of his first ducks....carrying it proudly
Last picture of Dani with her dog....
Gris Gris on the doggy beach in Venice, FL
One of my favorite pictures with Gris Gris and Bourree

Just one of the guys....


With his cousin Bullet in Florida

Such a sweet picture of Josh with his two dogs

All of his cousins.....Lagniappe, Bourree, and Roux

Supervising the neighborhood from his house

This was the last picture Gris Gris was in....How fitting for him to be sitting on his house and watching over the kids as they play....I hate looking out the window and seeing an empty playhouse :(
Cade's first word was dog!!


Last but not least, here are a few pictures of Gris Gris doing what he loved most....hunting with his best friend, Josh.....






We will always love you Gris Gris and you will always be missed!!! You will forever be a very special part of our family. Thank you for leaving me with such special memories of your loving, devoted, kind, and joyous spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment