Friday, September 7, 2012

Funny Story Friday-Car Trouble

A funny story about our trip to Birmingham....
One morning in Birmingham we went to the outlet mall and we had to drive two separate cars because of the car seats. We got all out of the cars, enjoyed our shopping trip just in time to pick up lunch and head back home in time for the kids to nap.....that is until I couldn't find my keys.....

Come to find out I left them in my UNLOCKED car in the IGNITION half turned on which of course drained the battery!! Let's just say embarrassing is an understatement...I mean seriously who does that???!!  Nothing could be said to make me not feel like an idiot.....thankfully we weren't too far from the house and Justin, Russ and my dad came to our rescue!! Still not sure how that happened.....

We had a great time in Birmingham and Sunday morning me, the boys and my mom started the drive home. We were about 2 hours from home out of our 7 hour car trip that Sunday morning and we decided to stop for lunch. We let the boys run around for a while to stretch their legs, we got back in the car around noon and start driving the last leg of the drive and realized the air conditioner wasn't working!!! Panic came over me since it was 100 degrees outside, we were in an unknown city, on a Sunday afternoon and nothing was open. I drove across the street to Walmart, they couldn't help me and told me that 10 miles down the interstate there was an Auto Parts that might be open. So we rolled down the windows and drove as fast as we could in 98 degree heat, all while Cade is screaming "STOP" in the back seat because of the wind and the noise!! Those 10 miles seemed like 100 as we began sweating profusely!!

We got to the Auto Zone and of course they couldn't/wouldn't help us. SO luckily there was a younger guy there who offered to take a look at it for me, he concluded that the antifreeze was low because my lines were very hot. He told me I needed to buy antifreeze and he had to run to his house to get a part to use to put the antifreeze in my car. $15 worth of antifreeze and about 10 minutes later he comes back to my hopes of him fixing my AC, he got in the car to start it and as I open the door to check on him he proceeds to say "your AC isn't even turned on".....I reply "yes it is"....and his response..."No mam, the AC button is not turned on"....to which I say "the whole 4 years I have owned this car I NEVER knew there was an AC button".....a couple of seconds later my car is cooling, no anti freeze needed and once again I am completely humiliated at how big of an idiot I am.....

Apparently there is a little button that looks like a sun that has to be on in order for the AC to work. Well about 2 hours before we stopped to lunch I realized this button was lit up and turned it off because I NEVER remember seeing it lit up before. Apparently if you turn the AC off while you are driving it still cools, but once we got back in the car after lunch since it was turned off it didn't come on.....who knew?? Josh's response when I called him to tell him the conclusion, "I almost asked if that button was turned on, but I thought surely I don't need to ask that question. Please just come home!!" HA!! WOOPS......

No comments:

Post a Comment